Friday, November 20, 2009

Blogging is boggling.

Ah, wordplay. It's one of my favourite things. Especially when you create a phrase that is catchy, but also truth-revealing.

Boggle is my favorite board game, even though it doesn't exactly have a traditional board with pieces that you move around it. But it still fits into that cateogory of games that you stash on a book shelf in the study, or a toy room, if you're lucky enough to have one of those. When someone says, "Let's have a games night!" I always say, "Cool! I'll bring Boggle." People don't usually respond to the suggestion enthusiastically. So then I figure that Boogle will be the proverbial uncool kid at the boardgames party and then by extension I'll be the actual uncool kid because I brought it. And then that would make me sad. It would be pretty lame of me to sit in the corner and try to beat myself at Boggle (which I've tried before, and it's hard).

My dad's mom (aka my paternal grandmother, if we're gonna get all fancy here) was a diehard Boggle lover, as well. Don't you think that's weird? Sometimes, if my mom's in a charitable mood, she'll humor me and play a few rounds. As I'm giving her a good ass-whooping and dropping 8-letter words on her like bombs over Baghdad, she recalls how the exact same thing happened when she played with Mary (my dad's ma): she got beat, badly. Repeatedly. One day, she said "I must be a masochist" and wondered why she agreed to playing with me in the first place. Sometimes I wonder if Mom feels like she's playing Boggle with a ghost when we go head-to-head?

Other things that Mary Drummond loved that I also love: canoeing, crossword puzzles, my dad.

Catherine and I used to dabble in Boggle every other Tuesday or so at one point in our lives. I took her under my wing, she was my word-spinning apprentice. I showed her some of my tricks. She got real good. She may have beat me once or twice. We haven't played in a while. Maybe we could have a rematch?

So, yeah, if I ever ask you if you want to play Boggle, you should say yes. I'll most likely beat you, but we'll never know until we try.

p.s. That's me and my mom in the pic. We're happy like that when we're not playing Boggle!

3 comments:

  1. How do you play? That's mind-boggling. The game we love at our house is Things. You have different cards like: things you wouldn't want to say to a police officer or things you decorate your nest with and everyone gets a piece of paper that they write an example of that thing and submit it anonymously. Then the Things are read out (by an omniscent reader) and people get a chance to guess which Things were submitted by whom. We get a lot of reoccuring and humourous Things being listed by people trying to sound like other people as a guise. Games night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try Apples to Apples. Simple premise, so it's easy to sell to dubious folk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love Things, too. I did a special wedding-themed one for my friend Sara's bachelorette. People's answers were funny. I like when people write answers in the style of someone else. Good strategy.

    I've never played Apples to Apples. But I just googled it an it sounds like a riot. I'll try bringing that to the next Games Night!

    ReplyDelete